Friday, November 4, 2022

An interview with Kim T.S.


Today,  THE STORYTELLER'S SCROLL welcomes K.T. SimsSo happy to have you join us today, Andrea. I'm sure we'll all learn something new from you.

 

Can you tell us your latest news?
 


 Our latest book is a fun collaboration with a 9-year-old boy who wrote and illustrated his own pirate book. It's called "The Crew of the Mighty Red Cuda" and 100% of profits will go towards children's education programs in the Philippines.


Excellent! Wonderful idea, inspiring creativity in young children.


We also hope that we can inspire more kids to write books and pursue their dreams- and hopefully help others as well. It will be FREE to download from Nov 7-9, 2022 from 12 midnight PST (3pm GMT +8).


Great!

 

If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?

I know there's been a lot of controversy surrounding her lately, but I really love the world JK Rowling created with her Harry Potter series. While I don't agree with all her views, I don't think anyone deserves to be treated unkindly on either side of the issue.  I look up to her as an author and would love to learn from her craft.

 

What was your first published title and what was it about?


Feeling All My Feelings Book, which is about helping kids and adults understand, accept, and overcome the biggest emotions. We want children and their parents to understand that all feelings are okay, but there are things we can do to make things better. We also want parents to realize that they, too, have to set an example so they can teach their kids how to regulate emotions by modeling the strategies that work for them. 


Feelings books are always important for both kids and parents.

 

4. What inspired you to write your first book?

My son was 3.5 years old at that time, and had the biggest emotions. His tantrums would go from 0 to 100 in minutes, and we'd both have such a hard time trying to figure out ways to help him calm down. When my dad died in 2019, it inspired me to seize the day and finally write my first book. It helped my son, Kyle, manage his own emotions. I hope it can help more families as well.


How long did your journey take to publication and what were some significant events along the way?

Writing is easy for me because there are days when the inspiration just flows-- but fixing the rhythm and meter takes a while. I didn't know about these rules when I first started. I tend to read rhyming books like prose, and most customers I talked to also don't mind the meter. But I see the value in it, and so I'm trying to learn as much as I can and improve as I go along. Illustrating is my biggest challenge. It took me a year before I found the courage and inspiration to start my sketches. Then I found a digital artist to improve my sketches and I was able to self-publish 2 years after I wrote my first book. I'm getting faster at it because I was able to write and publish my next 2 books in the same year! My 4th book is coming early next year. 


Congrats! Well done! It takes a special talent to both write and illustrate.

 

Who/what were your sources of inspiration along the way? How did it/ he/she/they help you the most?

My son inspires me the most. I'm amazed at how well he's growing both physically and emotionally. We've both been on a roller coaster of emotions as he was learning how to regulate his feelings. I believe in gentle parenting-- setting firm boundaries, but respecting your child's thoughts and feelings in the process and helping him through it all. Kyle is 6 years old now and is my biggest fan. He's emotionally invested in my books and career, because I always ask for his help and inputs. 

 

What was the best thing about getting your first book published?

Sharing a piece of myself to the world, and learning about how my books have helped others. It's the best feeling to know that you've made a positive impact, no matter how small.

 

What was the hardest thing?

I've always found it hard to take criticism, especially from people close to me. It's something I've learned to overcome, and that has helped me grow both as a person and as a writer. It helped to see it from a different perspective-- people aren't criticizing you. They're taking the time to offer constructive feedback about your work, and that's a good thing!  

 

What is your most recently released book about?

 I started a new series collaborating with child authors to bring their books to life for a good cause. My 9-year-old godson, Manu, loves writing and illustrating pirate stories. We worked together to make it better, and reached out to Angat Buhay Foundation in the Philippines to donate 100% of profits for their education programs. 9 out of 10 Filipino children aged 10 still can't read, and we want to change that.

 

How have you changed from your first published book to now?

I've overcome my resistance to following rhythm and meter rules, lol! It was a real struggle for me, because I felt it was restricting my creative juices. I think I'm getting the hang of it though, so to those of you who are particular about rhythm and meter, you'll be happy to know that my 3rd book is getting there. Still not perfect, but I'm learning as I go along. I'm also more open to feedback now. I know that my books aren't for everyone. But I also have enough confidence in my work because of all the parents and kids who shared how my books have helped them. 


Meter and scansion is a tough thing to master. Most people who attempt rhyme aren't even aware their meter is off. They tend to look at the end rhyme and not the meter to get there.



Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

I want to hug all of you! Thank you so much for reading my books and going on this journey with me. Your support really means the world to me and Kyle, and we love seeing your photos and hearing all the stories about how you have enjoyed our books. If you haven't reached out to us yet, please send us a message anytime. We'd love to connect! We'll send you some freebies to go with the books.

 

And for fun, something that not a lot of people know about you. 

 I was born in a car! I was in a hurry to get out, so my mom only made it to the parking lot of the nearest hospital. I saved my parents a lot of money on hospital fees.

 

 

Website:

https://www.kimtsbooks.com


Order form for all books: https://forms.gle/83D1YbMGB9vMEpQK8

Universal Amazon Links:

https://mybook.to/RedCuda

https://mybook.to/FeelingAllMyFeelings

https://mybook.to/FeelingAllMyAnger

 

Social media:


https://instagram.com/KimT.S.Books 

https://facebook.com/KimT.S.Books 

https://www.tiktok.com/@kimtsbooks   

https://twitter.com/KimTSBooks 

youtube.com/@kimtsbooks

 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your writing journey with us, Kim. Love the new series you’re writing so Filipino kids could learn how to read and enjoy your books! Consider yourself hugged!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! Sending you big big hugs as well. :)

      Delete