Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Interview With Candice Marley Conner: Presenting Her Newest Book

Today, I'd like to welcome Candice Marley Connor to The Storyteller's Scroll blog. 

Hi, Gail! Thank you for having me on the Storyteller’s Scroll.


Cover subject to change

It's a pleasure to have you visit us, Candice, and share your publishing news. 1. Can you tell us a bit about your most recent release?

 My latest news is that I have a Mardi Gras ABC picture book releasing on January 6th, 2023! That day is relevant because it’s the first day of Carnival—and more importantly, the first day you can legally buy king cake! Yum! M IS FOR MOON PIE is an alphabetical celebration of the birthplace of Mardi Gras. No, not New Orleans—in Mobile, Alabama! Our first Mardi Gras festivities were held fifteen years before New Orleans was founded. I had so much fun with the alliteration and researching historical fun facts, that I hope kiddos and their caregivers enjoy reading it just as much.

I love Mardi Gras, and we can never have enough alphabet books, especially with unique themes.

Illustration subject to change.

Illustration subject to change











 2. What was your first published title and what was it about?

My first published title is the picture book, SASSAFRAS AND HER TEENY TINY TAIL, about a squirrel who learns that the differences that all the other squirrels tease her about can help her save the day.


3. What inspired you to write your first book?

An actual squirrel with a teeny tiny tail! My then one-year-old (she just turned twelve at the beginning of this month!) and I were on a stroller-ride through our neighborhood and this squirrel with a tail like a chewed-up pine cone scampered across our path. I immediately thought about what I already knew about squirrels: how they use their tails for balance, so this one might be a little clumsy; and how they use their tails to communicate so this one might have trouble communicating with the other squirrels. But then the real story spark ignited when I turned the brainstorming upside down and thought: what could this squirrel be exceptional at because of her difference?


4. How long did your journey take to publication and what were some significant events along the way?

I started writing seriously when I became a stay-at-home mom with my firstborn (who as I mentioned is now twelve) and my first books debuted in 2021. SASSAFRAS was set to release in 2019, and my debut YA, THE EXISTENCE OF BEA PEARL, was originally scheduled for 2020, but due to California wildfires (affecting my picture book publisher), the pandemic, and life in general, they both ended up debuting a WEEK of each other in June of 2021! Then my third book, CHOMPSEY CHOMPS BOOKS, released in October of that same year, so suffice it to say, I needed this year just to recover and visit classrooms!


5. What was the best thing about getting your first book published?

Having my forever dream become something tangible and actualized that I could hug! Second best thing was having readers tell me how much they enjoyed my books. Being published is such a scary thing. Your book belongs to its reader now too. That fear of rejection and failure is strong, but being published is the best thing too!


6. What is your most recently released book about?

CHOMPSEY CHOMPS BOOKS is about a dyslexic alligator who wants to love reading as much as his book club swamp friends do. With the help of a heron mentor, he realizes there are so many different ways to learn. I was inspired to write this by one of my Reading Buddies (a reading program at local elementary schools) who had just been diagnosed with dyslexia. His dedication and determination blew me away! I personally have dyscalculia but would much rather write about words and books than grouchy ol’ numbers. 

7. What are your current projects?

My agent has a middle grade manatee/selkie story out on submission, as well as a STEAM chapter book series I actually started in college as part of my thesis and picked up again almost twenty years later during the pandemic. I was writing about a second grade classroom while I was listening to my (then) first grader virtually school from the next room so I felt very immersed in the story! My work-in-progress is an eco-fantasy middle grade, set in a haunted bookstore and I’m having the best time writing it!

 

8. Bit of wisdom to share: 

I’ve learned that your time in the query and submission trenches—while it may seem like you’re just twiddling your thumbs waiting for your dreams to start—is so important. Use it to build your writing community. You’ll need the support and encouragement when your books finally do come out and the new friends you make are so appreciative of all the encouragement you give. Gush about their books on social media, post reviews, share their good news! 




9. And for fun, something that not a lot of people know about you. 

I wanted to be a botanist biochemist when I was younger! I love the science behind plants. Chemistry class in high school kinda knocked that dream on its side when I realized I liked the idea of it better than the actuality so now I write about plants instead!


And a GIVEAWAY: Candice has graciously agreed to giveaway one of her four books to the lucky commenter. All you must do is flood this blog and make a comment on Candice's blogpost. It's a great opportunity for a last minute Christmas present.

 

Links to purchase Candice's books.

Links: preorder info Conner, Candice Marley - M Is For Moon Pie: ABCs in the Birthplace of Mardi Gras | The Haunted Book Shop in Mobile, Alabama (thehauntedbookshopmobile.com)

website www.candicemarleyconner.com



 Candice's social media:  


Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/Candice_marleyc 

Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/CMarleyConnerAuthor

Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/candice_marleyconner/

 

 

7 comments:

  1. I meant follow this blog. Spellcheck gets you sometimes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to reading M is for Moonpie! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Candice, I look forward to having you on the Kidlit Creative's blog in January. We'll dig deeper into your new PB. Fun title - M IS FOR MOON PIE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Candice I enjoyed reading about your writer's journey and inspirations for your books. I actually obtained my BS in Plant Science and I find my love of plants translates into my writing. I also feed a squirrel in my yard we named split tail because the end of its tail is forked. Maybe it's a friend of Sassafras.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Candice. I am curious what that little tiny tailed squirrel's special talent is. Love the ways you "collect" your fodder for such adorable sounding books. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, Angie. You won your choice of one of Candice's books. I will put you in touch with her for the details. Thanks for participating. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Candice, Can’t wait to pick up my copy of “M is for Moon Pie.” Sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete